WHAT HAS THE BALKERNE TOWER TRUST ACHIEVED?
Although our long term vision for Jumbo has yet to be achieved, our Trust has been largely responsible for many improvements to the building for the public benefit.
2003(Before the formation of the Trust)
An application by Brian Light to upgrade Jumbo to II* listing was successful.
An Options Appraisal for Jumbo by Purcell Miller Tritton was published. This was commissioned by the Balkerne Tower Trust and part financed by Colchester and N E Essex Building Preservation Trust.
After representations from the BTT and CNEEBPT, Urgent Works Notices were served on Jumbo’s owner to:
- board up broken windows in the cupola (the small room at the top)
- repair areas of the main roof
- clear all guttering of debris and vegetation
- repair damaged areas of the cupola roof
The BTT was instrumental in getting the removal of the ugly hoarding around Jumbo (with Heritage Champion Cllr Jo Hayes) for which permission had expired, and which had encouraged vandalism to the building.
An Interpretation Panel for Jumbo was designed and erected by the BTT with support from CNEEBPT, Colchester Civic Society and the Borough Council.
The BTT published its Business Plan.
After representations from the BTT and CNEEBPT, a S.215 Notice was served on Jumbo’s owner to:
- Remove vegetation in the lower brickwork and base area
- Repair all guttering
- Repair and repaint the cupola
- Replace broken glazing in the cupola
- Replace missing and damaged sections of the railings between Jumbo’s legs
In addition, the BTT strongly opposed inappropriate planning applications for Jumbo in 2009, 2011 and 2013, all of which were refused.
We have supported the 2016 Options Appraisal by the Colchester and North East Essex Building Preservation Trust, with historical and background information about Jumbo.